Wednesday, May 6, 2009

An American heroI am always amazed reading of
Harriet Tubman's strength--
from within and then extended outward to others.
She escaped slavery,
traveling from her enslavement in Maryland to
freedom in Philadelphia.
She crossed into Pennsylvania with a feeling of relief and awe, and recalled the experience years later: "When I found I had crossed that line, I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person. There was such a glory over everything; the sun came like gold through the trees, and over the fields, and I felt like I was in Heaven."
Harriet could have been content that she had made it;
she was no longer a slave, she was free.
But she was not content.
No.
Immediately
Harriet returned to Maryland to begin rescuing her family. All told, she completed thirteen round trip "Underground Railroad" rescue missions freeing family members and other slaves in very dangerous conditions.
Would I have such courage?
Do I have such inner strength?
Do you?
Harriet did and in so doing
inspired generations struggling for change
and that is why she is an American hero.
{quotation from Wikipedia}

2 comments:

Emily said...

Yes, you do. And yes, I do too.

Unknown said...

It was great to see you today - you always lift me up! Love your blog with the beautiful pictures & inspirational words.

See you next Tuesday.